Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Santa's Workshop

I have just returned from an inspiring week in the Greenville Arms and the Hudson River Valley Fiber Art Workshop in Greenville, New York. They had a snow storm the day before I arrived, so it was a beautiful scene that greeted me. On top of that, I arrived just in time for one of Chef Mark LaPolla's delightful dinners. The next five days were spent in their studio, with a grand group of adventurous students. Good food, great company and comfortable, cozy surroundings made this week a real treat!

So I came home filled with inspiration, but now I have to rekindle the Christmas spirit and get in gear for the weeks to come. We have snow at home, too, so that helps to get in the holiday mood. I am determined to keep things simple this year and stick with the handmade pledge, so to the studio I go.

Santa's helpers, "Weaving the Web", have been here producing pillowcases to vend on their new Etsy site. They have come up with an impressive variety of new color combinations using fabrics from the Sassaman archives. Their taste is fun and modern and I enjoy seeing their vision take shape. So thanks to these busy elves, you can still give unique handmade gifts, even if you don't have time to make them yourself.

The kids resourcefulness has encouraged me to get into the act, too. Above you see pillowcases made in two colorways of the new Sunshine and Shadow fabric for FreeSpirit. The designs and colors this season are very romantic and a bit decadent and lend themselves to many home decorating projects.

The Periwinkle color group, above, is the most mysterious. It makes me think of a Victorian sitting room where Sherlock Holmes would be lounging in a velvet smoking jacket and cap.

There is nothing so subtle about this graphic set of cases! But I love them for their electricity and energy. You could change the middle accent stripe to almost any color...red, pink, green and the results would be just as dramatic.

The final pair is made from last season's Prairie Gothic. The checks make these combinations especially refreshing. The bugs would be perfect when the grandsons sleep-over and the coneflowers would be nice for anyone, in fact, I have a set of these on my own bed this week.

The time is whizzing by and there is still lots to do. But it is a joy to be home in our winter wonderland and fondling fabric in the studio again!

5 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

Great pillowcases, Jane -- so glad you had a lovely week at Greenville. I do so love that place!

Diane

LFN Textiles said...

I always love your drawing of florals, Jane. And great to see Willow's etsy site! Happy holidays!

Darlene said...

I graduated from high school in
Greenville in 1972! What a surprise to see it mentioned on your blog! It's been many years since I've been there, so I don't recognize the house, although it does look familiar. Hard to believe it's been almost 40 years. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

kanishk said...

It is so beautiful!

Work from home India

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Those are all fabulous!!! Love the fabrics you used, great colors.
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com