Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Glorious Mess Begins!




















These have been sublime autumn days. It is still warm, but we have had to turn on the heat a few times already. The vegetables are pretty much at an end except for the pumpkins and gourds. The flowers are still glowing, especially the hardy dahlias and mums. The zinnias seem determined to out shine them all!







































But in the studio the GLORIOUS MESS has begun, as production for Houston Market is in full swing.
We have started cutting into the new Early Birds fabric for quilts, aprons, tea cozies, purses and pillows.
A big part of the fun is making fabric combinations for each project.







































Luckily, I have some helpers to give these ideas life. Since the fabric arrived so late we are really having to hustle. We are setting up a moch booth in the corner of the studio to test out our plans. I am even sewing in my sleep, it seems! I'm not complaining, though, since this is the best part of designing fabric... seeing it come to life as fun and usable objects. But time is short!!

All thoughts of the new book have been temporarily set aside. But now is a good time to let you know it is underway and due out this spring. I am so pleased to have Dragon Threads as my publisher for this new venture. We are calling it "Patchwork Sassaman Style" and it is all about using big, bold and beautiful prints. And we will be featuring lots of pieces made with my FreeSpirit fabrics, including Early Birds. I will keep you up to date, as we have lots of ideas to share as the book comes to life. Check out editor, Linda Teufel's latest blog and she will give you some more backgound on our project, including our sunny quilting cruise!

6 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

Have fun sewing up all those wonderful things! I just know your booth at the show will be amazing!!

Beth said...

You take such wonderful photos. Good luck with the show.

Melissa P said...

So much excitement going on! I love that shot of the studio space--birthplace to so many wonderful things.

Daphne Greig said...

Can't wait to see the booth at Market, Jane! See you in Houston.

Diane J. Evans said...

Congratulations on the new venture, Jane -- I can't wait to see the book. And how I do wish I could be in the middle of that glorious mess with you -- it would feel just like being a kid in a candy store all over again.

Diane

Kathleen said...

Those sunflowers are so different- it looks like two different kinds of sunflower as the colors are two different colors on the same stem. Wow! I have been a fan of your fabrics for a long time. Just love them.