Monday, June 29, 2009

Project Potpourri

There has been lots of activity here that has not been reflected on the blog lately. Sorry about that! Confidentially, I have been scheming on a new book and much energy has been devoted to that purpose. I have also reviewed and approved the strike-offs for the next fabric line which is called Sunshine and Shadow, so my mind is racing with possibilities for using the new designs and colors.

In the mean time, Prairie Gothic continues to inspire us to create more fun projects. One of my favorites has been these delightful tea cozies. Everyone who sees them in the studio immediately puts them on their head, myself included. So perhaps we will have to make some smaller versions for human ornamentation. The cozies are made of four panels with a finishing band at the bottom. But best of all is the fancy topper made with a yo-yo and two ArtGirlz felt beads.

This vintage Sassaman fabric works wonderfully with a hydrangea featured in each panel. The purple band at the bottom grounds the design and adds a little extra weight to keep out the cold air. The topper is especially fun in these lively colors! Thanks to Super Susan, my assistant for perfecting this delightful pattern!

I have also done some teaching this summer.  At the Genesee Valley Quilt Show in Rochester, New York, I was lucky to reconnect with one of my former students, Martha Lorshbaugh. She got extra points in class for wearing a skirt made from this seasons Sunflower fabric!!!!!! 
I am susceptible to "buttering-up". Thank you, Martha, you made my day!

Another friend, Pam Matthews of Pam Matthews Designs sent me this photo of a fresh new bag idea using the Coneflower fabric on the outside and lined in pink Bird's Eye. The bright lining makes everything easier to find in a deep bag.

Next we have two new quilts which exploit the kaleidoscopic potential of the symmetrical Prairie Gothic fabrics. Melissa Peda calls this piece, Midnight Queen. It is a glowing combination of color and graphics. I like the way the composition radiates from the complex center to a quieter border.

Melissa has also created this refined kaleidoscope wall hanging, below, Dusky Mandala. The Teasel fabric in the center actually seems to blend into the surrounding dots. She has used the sprinkling of white in the two outer borders to great advantage, too. Look closely because she has also appliqued some critters here and there!

Thanks to all my buddies for applying their energy and skill to these Sassaman fabrics. I am a lucky girl to have so many talented friends!!

7 comments:

Nanette said...

I love your Prairie Gothic line of fabrics. I have several of the designs that I used to make dresses from my new pattern for the cover photo. Beautiful fabrics for the sundress. I centered the large flowers in the front.

Nanette said...

I would be honored to have you post pictures of my dresses using you fabric. Thanks.

Kathi said...

Hi Jane...Martha will be elated to see herself in "print"!!! I truly loved your class and will let you know when I have made my fun little piece! Hope to learn from you again and can't wait for the new book!!

Suzanne said...

I adore your Prairie Gothic line! Love the colors and the print. You can add my name to your list of fabric devotees!

Here's a little something I made with that line:
http://justanotherhangup.blogspot.com/2009/04/prairie-picnic.html

- Suzanne
justanotherhangup.blogspot.com

Linda said...

The tea cosy is great--is there a pattern for it????

Anonymous said...

Ditto on the tea cozy...is that pattern available???

Leah said...

oooh i love the dark bag with the light blue cone flowers